Secession Week Blogging Begins!

Spread the word, join the fun, send us more links, and plz upvote on the Libertarian Reddit

Share this

My problem with the idea is

My problem with the idea is that secession as competitive threat only works if there is any serious fear that it can succeed. As it stands, there is not only no precedent for successful secession, but no groundswell of public opinion favoring it, that might make it a future success. You might persuade 5-10% of the public, but the other 90% will have a visceral reaction against the idea of secession (what do you mean, you want to bring slavery back?), which would poison the well against libertarian incentives and federalist thought.

Given the limited extent of libertarian political strength, it would be better to either concentrate and influence local policy, as the Free State Project does, or work outside the system, as the seasteading movement does. Secession will remain a domain of the cranks.

My problem with the idea is

My problem with the idea is that secession as competitive threat only works if there is any serious fear that it can succeed

Well yes, the point is to make successful secession possible. Impossible secession is of little use to libertarianism.

As it stands, there is not only no precedent for successful secession

Hello, the US seceded from England.

You might persuade 5-10% of the public, but the other 90% will have a visceral reaction against the idea of secession

The point of secession is precisely that you don't have to convince other people, you just have to do it.

Given the limited extent of libertarian political strength, it would be better to either concentrate and influence local policy

That is also the basis of secession

the Free State Project does, or work outside the system, as the seasteading movement does.

Both seasteading and the free state project are secessionist in nature.

Secession will remain a domain of the cranks.

The only thing that separate a state from a libertarian order is the right to secede. Arguing against secession is essentially arguing against libertarianism.

new secession week posts

Check out new Secession Week post: http://athousandnations.com/2009/07/01/secession-week-blogging-tuesday-american-secession-independence-movements/